Happy Sunday! I am trying to remember if Sunday is Funday or if that is Monday? Why can’t you just have fun both days? Let’s do it. I don’t know about you, but I think there is a lot to be happy/excited about this week. Actually, there is one big thing that I’ve been exciting about for a very long time: Gatsby. The Baz Luhrmann interpretation comes out this weekend. Here are a few links to get you as excited as I am:
- Ann Powers on NPR has a great first listen for the music from the film. I’ve listened to this twice!
- The New York Times wrote a nice and long article.
- Book Riot has a great article on Daisy’s jewelry from the film. Carey Mulligan also discusses the jewels with Vogue.
- This is an oldie, but I love The Daily Beast’s comparison of Jay-Z and Jay Gatsby.
- Vanity Fair reports that Carey Mulligan used the Kardashians as an inspiration for playing Daisy Buchanan.
- Buzzfeed has had so many fantastic Gatsby related posts: How to Throw a Gatsby Themed Wedding, 10 Lana Del Ray Lyrics that Could be about Gatsby, and Is This a Line from The Great Gatsby or an Angsty Tumblr User are my favorites.
If Gatsby isn’t your things, we can still be friends, but probably not best friends. Here are some other things from around the internet to make your Sunday a fun day.
- Here’s an article on Jezebel saying that the “manic pixie dream girl” archetype has lost it’s meaning.
- As you may know, we participated last weekend in Dewey’s Read-a-thon, if you want to do something similar in a less intense way you might be interested in Bout of Books.
- My mom sent me a link from HuffPostBooks on tips for authors who blog. On the Homefront also posted about the struggle between self expression and attracting readers.
- Jackie Lea Sommers wrote about her auto-buy authors on Lights All Around. I love this concept, and wish that I had thought of it first. Mine are Lauren Willig, John Green, and Nicole Krauss.
- Self published e-books are dominating the best seller list. I think this is almost as exciting at Gatsby coming out this week!