This Tuesday The Broke and the Bookish asked bloggers to list the top ten things on our reading wish lists. It could be a specific type of character, an issue tackled, a time period, a certain type of plot, etc. After wracking my brain here’s what I came up with.
1. More contemporary young adult books with a light fantasy element introduced.
2. Historical fantasy novels. Would especially love to see something magical or mystical set in Tudor England or Imperial Russia.
3. Modern retellings of Victorian novels.
4. YA novels told through the POV of multiple female characters.
5. Novels that feature sleep or dreaming in an interesting or unexpected way (something in the vein of Dream Hunters, by Elizabeth Knox or Insomnia, by J. R. Johanson).
6. Speaking of dreams I think would be really cool to read a book where the main character was a DREAMer immigrant to the United States.
7. Young adult adaptations of Hemingway or Fitzgerald novels. Can you imagine a teenage Gatsby or Brett Ashley as a cheerleader?
8. A new Alice Munro short story collection. Even though she’s announced her retirement, I can’t accept that it’s over.
9. I always enjoy books about sisters, so more of those are always welcome in my TBR list.
10. Another favorite category for me, is books that feature reading or characters who love to read and write. I would love to find myself reading a few more of those this year.
Let me know in the comments what you are looking for on your reading wishlist. Also, if you have any suggestions for me based on my list I would LOVE you to share them with me.