Top Ten Book Related Problems


Happy Tuesday Friends! Most of the time I’m in love with books, but here are then problems that relate to books. It was hard coming up from all ten of these, so I’d love to hear yours in the comments.

  1. Checking out way way way too many books from the library. Right now I have over ten books checked out. I request them all and then get stressed out that I’m not finishing them faster, also it means that I don’t read any of the books I buy.
  2. Worrying about whether or not I should be using Amazon. I know it’s better to buy local. I do buy lots of books from local stores, and use the library more than anything, but still sometimes I get bitten by the Amazon bug. It is so convenient!
  3. Having a TBR list that expands like a black hole. I can remember times in my life when I just couldn’t think of any books to read. This is not a problem anymore. Since starting this blog, I hear about way more books that I want to read than I could ever actually finish. It’s kind of like Sisyphus, but a lot more fun.
  4. I’m a spine cracker and a page bender. This makes me very very nervous when I am borrowing a book from a friend or from the library.
  5. Dropping books in the bathtub. See the above comment.
  6. Becoming obsessed with YA to the detriment of almost all other categories. I used to read a lot of classics, historical fiction, romance novels, and short story collections, now it feels like a lot of that reading is sacrificed to feed my YA habit.
  7. Having people explain to me why YA has suddenly become so popular in an uniformed and condescending way. 1. It’s not so sudden, it’s been going on for awhile. 2. It’s because YA books are good, not because people are stupider or busier or not as discerning. That’s insulting!
  8. Getting my hopes up when a book I like is being adapted into a movie. Sometimes this is the best thing ever, but it sucks when the movie is bad and I end up disappointed. I still feel really resentful of the Ella Enchanted adaptation.
  9. Waiting for friends to finish a book I’ve read so that I can discuss it with them. It’s not my fault that I read faster than most people.
  10. Wanting to buy too many books when I go to author readings. I feel really guilty not buying the book when I go to a reading, but at this point I go to way too many readings for this to be financially feasible. This is a HUGE white whine/1st world problem, but it still bugs me.

Thanks to The Broke and the Bookish for hosting this weekly book meme.

21 thoughts on “Top Ten Book Related Problems

  1. Checking out way too many library books is also a big one for me. They all look so enticing, but then I don’t get around to reading or finishing all of them on time, even with multiple renewals.

  2. Ooh, I’m one of those that hates my spines being bent or pages being marked/bent! That’s the only problem of yours that I can’t relate to! The rest of your problems, I’m totally with you on! 😀

  3. So point 5: Dropping books in the bathtub.

    This is the story of my life. In fact, I took it one step further and actually set a book on fire in the bathtub once while trying to take a photo of a quote from it for Instagram and holding the book a little too close to a candle for optimal lighting. True story.

  4. I don’t buy a lot of books to begin with, but I have the same problem with #2. I want to buy from my local used bookstores, but in the end its always about what is cheaper. Also, most of the time the books that I’m looking for aren’t even at the store. I feel bad for supporting a huge (soulless) corporation over the local used bookstores, but sometimes I gotta do what I gotta do.

    1. I know … also someone told me that with barnes and noble and borders hurt by amazon that independent bookstores are actually doing better. Although I’m not sure if that’s what I want either. I think as long as I’m getting books from a variety of sources then it’s probably okay … even though I still feel guilty about it.

  5. I tend to check out way too many books from the library too. I can’t help it! Sometimes the library just has so many books that I want to read, but then I forget about the ones that I already have at home waiting to be read. Sometimes I worry about whether or not I should be using Amazon as well. I try to do about 40% of book buying online and the other 60% by going to stores. Great list!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s