- Best thing this week was a lovely visit from my mama! On Tuesday, we had a pizza party so she could meet some of my best NYC friends. On Wednesday, we looked at holiday store windows, wandered around the Met, and saw the musical Fiddler on the Roof. Also bagels!
- I finished All About Love, by Bell Hooks. My kind and wise roommate gave me this book for my birthday, and it was the best, best book for me to be reading post-election. Two guiding quotes that have felt particularly relevant are: “Cultures of domination rely of the cultivation of fear as a way to ensure obedience” & “A love ethic presupposes that everyone has the right to be free, to live fully and well. To bring a love ethic to every dimension of our lives, our society would need to embrace change.”
- Working on a new story! I don’t know if I mentioned finishing (for now) Revenge Play, which I’ve been working on for most of the year (well, most of the last two years actually). I’m really thrilled about being back in the first stages of creating a new story and the discovery process. It is *hopefully* going to keep my mind off of the querying/publishing process.
- End of year best book lists! I’m totally a sucker for these. I wrote one about the best new-to-me authors I read in 2016. I’ve also really enjoyed Book Riot’s Best Books of 2016 and BuzzFeed’s 19 of the Best YA Books of 2016 and The New York Times’ Notable Children’s Books of 2016. And there are so much more! I’m definitely adding to my TBR list!
- Tomorrow I’m going to one of my favorite bookstores, Housing Works, and listening to different authors read A Christmas Carol. If you are in or around NYC, then you should definitely stop by!